Florida collecting

Mark Deering deering3 at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:33:40 EST 1998

Listers
It is indeed illegal to collect insects while in any park in Florida (True
also in most states though Florida is more vigilant in enforcement) but the
treatment described here is deplorable! It is not illeagal to have a net and
envelopes, it is not illegal to collect! While in Florida, get a plat map of
the areas that you want to collect in. There is a gazzeteer type map of the
counties of florida that works well. This map should have clearly listed and
labeled the state parks, national parks, refuges and other areas that are
illegal to collect in. As for the rest of the State....do not be afraid to
collect. There are no laws on the books saying that you cannot swing a net
(lawyers or more knowledgable folks out there are free to refute this view).
I hope that this helps. Remember...incidental collecting does not (in most
cases) cause any noticable drop in a population of insects. That is the job
of habitat destruction and loss.
Mark