Collecting, etc.

Pavulaan at aol.com Pavulaan at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 23:22:05 EST 1998

Anne Kilmer wrote:

<< Come the revolution, we'll have butterfly farm/bean farms where you may
wave your net to your heart's content, in a lepidopterous safari. Yup, just
like those farms
where you catch pond-raised trout. Oh boy. >>

I compliment you Anne: words of a genius!

Now, if only the feds and some state beauracracies would hire some rocket
scientists to figure the following out:

1) The best way to protect endangered species from those busloads of
collectors is to allow licensed commercial breeding of such species.
Commercially-bred (and I might add: perfect-quality) specimens will deflate
the demand for illegal wild-caught specimens.  I guess the success of
butterfly ranching experiments worldwide just aren't convincing proof enough
for our government beauraucrats.

2) The best way to conserve endangered species is to allow licensed commercial
breeding of such species for managed release, in conjunction with #1, above.
Breeding/recovery experiments conducted by institutions or universities are
usually of limited scope and are usually part of a study.  Commercial
operations, by nature, would likely be much more aggressive and successful in
their goals.  Commercially-bred butterflies can also be certified to be virus-
free (YES, believe it or not: bred butterflies can be virus-free!!) by
Agriculture Inspectors (just think: work for more beauraucrats!) and released
back into the habitat.

3) The best way to generate funds to restore habitat and promote endangered-
butterfly recovery programs is to allow commerial breeding of such species
(see #1, above).  Money from sale of such butterflies would supplement or even
replace funds from government,  which come with all sorts of stipulations, and
are bound in red-tape and regulation, and are subject to cutoff at any time.

4) Fish, birds and mammals can be hunted during designated seasons, with
purchase of a hunting permit.  These are considered economic (consumable)
resources and are thus "managed".  Butterflies are similarly economic
resources, though they are "consumed" in a different fashion.  Why can't non-
endangered butterflies be managed similarly, allowing for collecting permits
during certain times.   Perhaps if butterflies were hunted with a rifle, and
eaten, then we will be given butterfly-hunting licenses.

Just some really wild thoughts.  Probably too bizzarre for the regulators to
comprehend.

Harry Pavulaan
Herndon, VA.