British moths in North America

Dr Mark Young, Culterty Field Station nhi220 at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 04:25:57 EST 1998

Dear All,

Please may I ask for some help from those of
you in North America.  I have a colleague who
is beginning a study of Lepidoptera which
have "invaded" new areas.  Since 1900 we have
had 30 or 40 invaders in Britain and yet only
2-3 of these come from USA or Canada, which
may make sense in terms of the distance
involved, but does not make sense if
significantly more British species have made
the leap across to the USA.  The question is,
can anyone tell me which British species have
become established in North America, or point
me to a reference that lists them?

We know of the pest species, such as
Operophtera brumata or Lymantria dispar, but
are there many others?  Any help would be
gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mark Young

Dr Mark Young,