Gifu Butterfly Re: New Book: Butterflies of Micronesia

Nathan Schiff nschiff at asrr.arsusda.gov
Wed Feb 18 12:51:48 EST 1998

Hey Guys, one of my coleagues just handed me a five line article from
Outside magazine about a huge number of volunteers who transplanted 4400
miyama aoi plants and 870 barrenwort plants to lure the protected Gifu
butterfly away from its favorite breeding ground at the base of the mens
super G course in Nagano.  I must admit I have not been watching the
Olympics, not enough curling for me, but really dont know anything about
this story.  Is it really endangered , what is the latin name, what is
the distribution.  Are there any research articles on this beast.  I
apologise for not cruising the web but I dont have access at the moment
so I would appreciate the poop on this butterfly if there is any.
Thanks.  Nathan.

P.S. iti was the feb 98 issue of outside.