Early UK sightings

Chris Raper triocomp at dial.pipex.com
Wed Feb 18 08:50:40 EST 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:59:00 GMT, Neil Jones
<Neil at NWJONES.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

>I myself saw my first this season from a train window somwhere between Swindon
>and Reading. This was a male Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) the bright
>yellow species believed to be the original Butter-fly.

Just a thought but... your train would have taken you within a couple
of 100m of Hartslock SSSI - the reserve I help warden. On Saturday
there was a really nice male Brimstone (G.rhamni) fluttering around
the Blackthorn bushes and Ivy in the Lane leading up to the site and
might even have been the same one you saw! :-).

On the reserve itself there was just a solitary, smallish Small
Tortoishell (Aglais urticae) sunning and patrolling along a
hedge-margin.

Cheers
Chris R.