(Fwd) polyphemus luna mating

WILLIAM OEHLKE - 420 oehlkew at montagueint.edu.pe.ca
Mon Jun 8 08:32:11 EDT 1998

From:          Self <MONTJ_410_FS/OEHLKEW>
To:            leps-l
Subject:       polyphemus luna mating
Date:          Sun, 7 Jun 1998 20:27:08 -0400 AST
I witnessed a polyphemus luna mating this past weekend.
Really?  Yes.  This past weekend Derek Bridgehouse and I set out a
number of caged females in an open area in the Nova Scotia
wilderness.  We set out two female lunas, a female polyphemus, two
female cecropias, and a female hybrid cecropia x columbia.  When wwe
checked cages around midnight, one luna was mated with another luna
and a poly male was unquestionably paired with the other female luna.
Cecropia and polyphemus males were still fluttering around the area
so we did not disturb cages and went to check on our MV and black
lights.
When we came back at 1:30 am the poly and luna were separated, the
female poly was paired with a male poly.  At 4:30 am a female
cecropia was paired with a columbia  and the hybrid female was paired
with a columbia. This is the second time this year that caged female
cecropias have paired with wild columbia males, once in Nova Scotia
and once in P.E.I.  Last year a female cecropia paired witha male
columbia and the hybrid emergences are very beautiful.
Questions:  1)  What is the likelihood that there will be any viable
ova from the luna x polyphemus mating?
2)  Do hybrid females usually scent?  It is my understanding that
female F1 hybrids are sterile.  The female hybrid we had set out was
quite heavy bodied.  It is possible, since it appears we are in a
natural hybrid zone, that last year's male columbia or the P.E.I.
female cecropia were carrying F2 or beyond hybrid genes.
3)  Is anyone doing work with "fancying" polyphemus by selective
breeding the same way that guppies and many goldfish and tropical
fish have been "fancied"?  I rear large numbers of polyphemus
1200+/year and very often get extra large and colorful males and
females.  I just recently paired  a large female with a very colorful
male with much blue in the hind wing eyespot.  I will be tracking
these ova/larvae/cocoons/adults to see if the blue is transmitted.
I also have a potential pairing of two large adults with substantial
pink borders in hind wings.  Just want to know if anyone else is
working in this area?
Bill Oehlke
Box 476
Montague,P.E.I., Canada, C0A 1R0