Abandoned Lots/golfcourses

Tish Silberbauer & Dave Britton xadeb at magna.carbuncle.com.au
Fri Jun 12 17:29:04 EDT 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:55:05 -0400, Eric or Pat Metzler
<spruance at infinet.com> wrote:

>Well, I'm not sure about NL, but in the U.S. golf courses are highly
>managed with many applications of pesticides and other poisons.  They
>are certainly not planned nor managed for wildlife (except frisky
>golfers).  Golf courses in the U.S. may harbor some generalists, but
>they offer little as refuges for wildlife.
>
>Eric Metzler
>Columbus OH

<snip Ernst's original query about golf courses as refugia for
wildlife, particularly those of the lepidopterous variety>

I would agree with Eric in regards to most of the urban, polished golf
courses, which are quite sterile for many grassland leps, but some of
the country golf courses which don't have the money for expensive
greens and fairway maintenance can still offer some refugia for
wildlife.  In one case I know of, a rare grassland castniid moth
(Synemon plana) was found flying on the fairways of a country golf
course in Victoria, Australia, where the fairways consisted of
"unimproved" grasses (ie. no introduced grass species).  I believe the
entomologist in question sampled the moth using a 6 iron; I have no
opinion on whether that was the right club to use!

cheers

DaveB.
--
Dave & Tish
Remove the offensive skin condition to email