Tineoid genera - Praeacedes

Gaden S. Robinson gsr at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 13:39:38 EST 1998

Paul Sammut asks about Amsel's deluccae:

Praeacedes deluccae was described by Amsel in 1954 in Bull. Soc. ent. Fouad
(38: 55) as a new genus and species. Praeacedes still stands but deluccae,
as Paul says, is a synonym of atomosella Walker, 1863.

Praeacedes atomosella is currently placed in Tineidae: Tineinae (Robinson,
G.S. & Nielsen, E.S., 1993, Tineid Genera of Australia (Lepidoptera).
Monographs on Australian Lepidoptera, 2. xvi + 344 pp., Melbourne).

Antitinea, erected a year later, is (as far as I am aware) also still valid
together with its type-species, deluccae Amsel, 1955. Its subfamily
placement within the Tineidae is questionable and in my database of the
family it is marked as "unattributed to subfamily". I have never seen the
type-specimen (which should be in Karlsruhe); the crude figure of the
genitalia in the original description doesn't ring any bells at all, and I
would be interested in hearing any opinions as to its placement. I doubt
that it is a member of the Tineidae. Reinhard Gaedike or Gunther Petersen
in Eberswalde might be able to help further.

Gaden Robinson

Gaden S. Robinson, DSc, Research Entomologist, Department of Entomology,
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON SW7 5BD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)171-938-9494. Fax: +44-(0)171-938-8937.
INTERNET: gsr at nhm.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/ [and]
     http://nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hostplants/
Research programs: Microlepidoptera systematics; hostplant database