Painted Lady

Miguel de Salas mm_de at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 21:12:23 EDT 1998

In article <1998Oct7.012849.22564 at lafn.org>, ae779 at lafn.org (Pierre A
Plauzoles) wrote:

> In a previous article, mm_de at postoffice.utas.edu.au (Miguel de Salas) says:
>
> >Here the Painted Lady is the English name of Cynthia kershawi. In Europe
> >Cynthia cardui. In America C. virginiensis (sp.?)
>
> Sorry, Miguel.  Not quite.
>
> Robert Michael Pyle, in the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to
> North American Butterflies (1995 edition, published in New York by Knopf
> and distrbuted by Random House), shows the name "Painted Lady" associated
> with Vanessa cardui (see p 625 and illustration 650).  The same book
> lists the *American* Painted Lady with the scientific name Vanessa
> virginiensis.  Cynthia, I believe, is considered a junior synonym to
> Vanessa, although I could be quite wrong on that.

My point being that 3 different species are referred to by 3 different
vernacular names in Europe, America and Australia.
To date I have always seen postings about Vanessa (Cynthia) virginiensis
referred to as 'Painted Lady', NOT as *American* Painted Lady. The matter
of whether the correct genus is Vanessa, Cynthia or both, is
inconsequential.

As a further example, the butterfly known as 'Monarch' in America is known
as the 'Wanderer' here in Australia.

--
Miguel de Salas,

mm_de at postoffice.utas.edu.au