extirpation of butterflies by weeds -Reply

Nick Greatorex-Davies NGD at WPO.NERC.AC.UK
Tue Sep 15 11:36:17 EDT 1998

By Purple Loosestrife presumably you mean Lythrum salicaria L. Here in
the UK the species is native and is often a popular nectar source with
butterflies (so much so that I plan to grow it in my garden). I have not time
to look up what species I have seen on it, but apart from Pieris (whites)
species I know it is very popular with Gonepteryx rhamni (Brimstone)
and sometimes with some Lycaenids eg Polyommatus icarus (Common
Blue) and Skippers (especially Thymelicus spp.)

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Nick Greatorex-Davies
Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Monks Wood, UK