Texas Butterfly Festival - Third Annual

Mike Quinn mqnature at hiline.net
Mon Sep 21 13:08:46 EDT 1998

**********Announcing the**********
*********THIRD ANNUAL**********
***TEXAS BUTTERFLY FESTIVAL***

October 23-25, 1998
Mission, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley
1-800-580-2700 <jrivera528 at aol.com>

Sponsored by the Mission Chamber of Commerce, NABA South Texas Chapter,
Eagle Optics, Kinko's, The Monitor, & Texas State Bank

Key Note Speakers: John and Gloria Tveten, Authors: Butterflies of Houston.

Festival has Speakers, Workshop, Field Trips, Children's Program, and Trade Show.

Speakers include Dr. Timothy Brush, Carrie Cate, Kathy Clark, Dr. Nancy Greig,
Mike Quinn and Joanna Rivera.

North American Butterfly Association declares that the Lower Rio Grande Valley has "the greatest diversity of butterflies in the U.S.! Possibilities include Malachite, Blue Metalmark, Crimson Patch, White-striped Longtail, and more that 150 other species."

Post Festival Butterfly Field Trip to Monterrey!!!
October 26-27

Trip Highlights:
First stop: Parque Ecologio Chipinque tucked into the mountains of Monterrey. http://www.chipinque.org.mx

In the evening, we will go to El Manzano Park (1,500m) to sleep.  This is a private park  in the Sierra de Anahuac (on the Sierra Madre Oriental) about an hour and a half south of Monterrey. It has all the necessary facilities: log cabins with kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, and a complete set of kitchen articles and blankets. We just have to set the dinner!!! (Each cabin has enough space to accommodate eight people comfortably.)

The second day we can hike around the park (pine-oak forest). After lunch we will make our way back to Texas. It should take about three and a half hours.

We've already received interested inquiries from Massachusetts and California.
South Texas has received some really nice rains in September and the numbers of butterflies are already way up. Should be a great festival, could be awesome.

For more information call:
the Mission Chamber, M-F, 8-5 CST, at 1-800580-2700 or
email Joanna Rivera at jrivera528 at aol.com