Roost preference

Sharyn Fernandez botany at centurion.flash.net
Tue Sep 22 13:25:59 EDT 1998

 Yes - quite a dilemma - I just checked with the County Ag. Dept. evidently
this is an introduced fungus (pitch canker), attaking Bishop Pine ( native
- indiginous to Calif. coast) as well as Monterey Pine; made worse by El
Nino, if anything...they're discouraging taking any plants  from the Santa
Cruz/MOnterey counties...
but, I don't think monarchs are a vector in this (they said the infamous
Bark Beetle was)...
sff
>So the anti-exotic folks in Pacific Grove (which includes the mayor) are
>caught between a rock and a hard place; they don't want to go on record
>as approving the use of an exotic yet they don't want to see the
>butterflies leave either.
>
>Paul Cherubini, El Dorado, California
>paulcher at concentric.net

Sharyn Fernandez
"Recreational development is a job not of building roads into  lovely country
but of building receptivity (inroads-sic) into the still unlovely human
mind" - Aldo Leopold. SAND COUNTY ALMANAC (Conservation Esthetic) c. 1949