Possible ID

Marian Fricano MFricano at scu.edu
Tue Aug 3 11:13:28 EDT 1999

Last night I wandered back into the kitchen, where I had left the light on, and thought a bat was trying to get in.  This awesome moth settled down on the screen section of the window, so I was able to get a close look and measure it.  I've never seen anything like it, and when I consulted the Moths of Eastern America, nothing even close.  Since I live in Palo Alto, California, no good source of guides to moths has been compiled for me to consult.  So, here's hoping a Calif. entomologist might recognize the critter.  It had a 3 & 1/4" wingspan, it's body was 2" long and 1/2" wide.  It was mottled grey--a dark grey--and had an uneven lighter grey band near the bottom of the wings.  Killing it was out of the question for me--would have been like killing a mouse!  Our resident entomologist is off for the summer, so capturing it for someone's inspection was out, as I haven't a clue who else I'd take it to.  Any ideas?
thanks!
Marian