Clothes moths

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Mon Jun 14 10:22:07 EDT 1999

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> I've had a running (and losing) battle with clothes moths in
> my Massachusetts home and could use some expert advice
> short of building a cedar closet and filling my home with fumes
> from napthalene.  All ideas are welcome from carniverous plants
> and mantids to some kind of trap or special lighting.

Six dollar DDVP (dichlorvos) resin (No Pest) strips are available at many variety stores
and will easily take care of moth problems. You need 1 strip per 1000 cubic feet. You
won't see or smell anything, but just a tiny amount of DDVP insecticide in the air will kill
virtually any kind of small food or clothes infesting moth within a day. Won't harm the
spiders, carpet beetles, ants and other types of household pests. Won't kill moth larvae
either - just the adults.

For adult moth control, DDVP resin strips are a more effective and odorless alternative to
napthalene and the total release pyrethroid aerosol bombs that some people use to
disinfest their homes.

Paul Cherubini