NABA / The Necessary Clout? (was E Names)

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Sat Jun 19 08:31:41 EDT 1999

Jim Taylor wrote:

> I agree with Mark. The following is an excerpt from NABA's home page under
> the heading of "Purpose" and makes me ineligible for membership:
>
>         The North American Butterfly Association, Inc. (NABA), a non-profit
> organization, was formed in 1992 to educate the public about the joys of
> non-        consumptive, recreational butterflying including listing,
> gardening, observation,              photography, rearing and conservation.
> Membership in NABA is open to all those         who share our purpose.
>
> It's the "non-consumptive" that shoots me down - but then I prefer moths,
> anyway.

well, have you considered that if you are all members of NABA you can
outnumber the sentimental bug-huggers?
If everyone who disagrees with what you imagine Jeff thinks just leaves
the club, it does indeed become a group of anti-collecting people. It
loses its balance.
I would hate to see that happen.
There is no harm in teaching people other things to do with bugs besides
putting them in glass cases. There is no harm in buying a duck stamp
even if you don't intend to shoot ducks. We're all in this thing
together, watching the rapid demise of all the organisms on this earth
except man (and I don't feel too good, myself).
Can we not, in the name of all that is holy, work together?
This matter of habitat preservation and restoration is crucial. We need
facts, and lots of them. We will get those from collectors as well as
photographers ... and I don't think a photo of Charaxes amandae would
convince people that Amanda's Guligufi (known from two specimens) is
different from all other butterflies.
I prefer my butterflies on the wing, uninterrupted. But I will defend
the need to teach children, by rearing ,catching, dissecting  and
whatever means comes to mind ... and I will do it as a member of NABA,
because, irritated though I may be by some folks, they are doing work I
respect.
I'd like to see butterfly gardeners going for those rare species, and
doing it the hard way ... by creating suitable habitat where exotic
plant and animals have invaded.
And without the scientists who know what they're doing, we're left with
a bunch of sentimental bug-huggers and a rotten little club. Don't do it
to us, fellows.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
Mayo