Frazier Park, 6/19

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Tue Jun 22 21:24:03 EDT 1999

I've been spending entirely too much time debating on LEPS-L, which is
particularly bothersome because I haven't said anything new or enlightening
- just the same ol' stuff repeated ad infinitum.  So now it's time to get
back to the real reason I sit in front of the computer (well, besides my
JOB):

My children, a friend and I went out for a really productive day of
butterflying to Kern county and the Frazier Park area.  We started early and
finished late - like after 7:00 p.m.  We were still enjoying Everes amyntula
(Western Tailed Blue), Lycaeides melissa (Melissa Blue), and Plebejus acmon
(Acmon Blue) right up until sunset.  We stopped in no less than a half dozen
spots, at various elevations, and saw tons of cool stuff.  Here's my list.

Papilio zelicaon (Anise Swallowtail)
Papilio rutulus (Western Tiger Swallowtail)
Papilio multicaudata (Two-Tailed Swallowtail)
Papilio eurymedon (Pale Swallowtail)

Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulpher)
Colias harfordii (Harford's Sulpher)

Callophrys augustinus (Brown Elfin)

Bredphidium exile (Western Pygmy Blue)
Everes amyntula (Western Tailed-Blue)
Euphilotes battoides (Square-spotted Blue)
Glaucopsyche lygdamus (Slivery Blue)
Lycaeides melissa (Melissa Blue)
Plebejus icarioides (Boisduval's Blue)
Plebejus acmon (Acmon Blue)
Plebejus lupinus (Lupine Blue)
Plebejus neurona (Orange-veined Blue)

Speyeria callippe (Callippe Fritillary)
Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)
Adelpha bredowii (California Sister)
Limenitis lorquini (Lorquin's Admiral)

Coenonympha tullia (Common Ringlet)
Cercyonis sthenele (Great Basin Wood Nymph)

Heliopetes ericetorum (Large White Skipper)
Pyrgus communis (Common Checkered Skipper)
Erynnis ? (unidentified)

Mark Walker
Mission Viejo, CA