NABA and butterfly watching

Phil Schappert philjs at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 28 10:53:47 EDT 1999

On 18 Jun 1999 23:28:08 -0700, janature at compusmart.ab.ca (John Acorn)
wrote:
>Speaking of Glassberg's editorial, here's the part that surprised me:
>"Modern butterflying began in the mid 80's with the switch from nets to
>binoculars by members of the New York City Butterfly Club."  Perhaps for him
>it did, but despite the impression he gives, he and his friends did not
>invent the idea of watching butterflies.  I have always given credit to Bob
>Pyle for launching "modern butterfly watching," and his books were written
>before the mid 80's, and originated in Washington state, as far as I know.
>His writings were my own inspiration, and at the time I had never heard of
>the New York Butterfly Club.  Perhaps the word "modern" has a peculiar,
>elitist meaning here, and one that is at the heart of the problem we are
>discussing.

Hear, hear! My thoughts exactly...

Phil

---
Dr. Phil Schappert

Section of Integrative Biology,     Stengl-Lost Pines Biological Station,
School of Biological Sciences,      University of Texas,
C0930, University of Texas,         401 Old Antioch Rd,
Austin, TX 78712-1064               Smithville, TX 78957
Office/Lab: 512-471-8240            Station: 512-237-3864
Fax: 512-471-3878                   Fax: 512-237-3864 (call ahead)

mailto:philjs at mail.utexas.edu       http://www.esb.utexas.edu/philjs

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                                       Michael Hedges