Collecting anything and future nature interest

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Jun 28 15:28:55 EDT 1999

Andy Harmer wrote:

<some snippage>

> There is definitely a cultural difference in America's collecting
> mentality. This type of activity in England is limited to a
> small amount  of
> academics or schoolboys who grow out of it .

Well, then maybe that's the difference after all.  Personally, I found the
falling back to school boy pleasures to be most rewarding, and far more in
touch with both nature and reality.  I was becoming a really stuffy, busy,
arrogant, opinionated, nose-in-the-air, assholic part of the work-a-day
world.  But then I found me an old friend - a butterfly net - an icon of the
past that was mostly forgotten.  And now I run around the country like a
school boy, laughing, singing, frolicking, and playing - with occasional
mischief.

Yep.  There just might be a cultural difference at work here...

Mark Walker.
Mission Viejo, CA