habitat for beauty(ferals and) natives

simon alexander cook designrhetoric at spin.net.au
Wed May 5 04:13:18 EDT 1999

Hello All!

1. Whilst on the subject of Monarchs, i understand they arrived in
Australia around 1850.
Anyone with other information about naturalised butterflies ?...

2. Not to say we are(n't) promoting feral beauties here in Sydney, - but
along with developing local wildlife butterfly gardens [in the
Cumberland Plain Woodland of western Sydney] our Bushcare project is
using the Cotton Weed (Asclepias speciosa) for Monarch larvea.  Is this
(weed?) the primary habitat for monarchs throughout the world??

3. We are aware of some lept species utilising our Saltbush and other
grassland herbs, but does anyone have more info to suggest in making
habitat for Sydney species., (or want to assist - in Old Toongabbie) ?
Any Photos from Sydney?

4. Is anyone aware of the species that eat Mistletoe, in Australia
(Muellerina eucalyptoides) ?

thanks

simon a cook
volunteer/designer