Ban drift of resistant insects? (Was: Re: GM Pollen and butterflies bees and honey ????)

Brian Sandle bsandle at southern.co.nz
Mon May 24 11:37:08 EDT 1999

The stem of this thread has been on nz.politics for a while.

Brian Sandle <bsandle at southern.co.nz> wrote:
: James McNulty <SuckOnThisSpammer at nowhereinparticular.co.nz> wrote:
: : In article <7i39oi$gtu... Carman wrote:

[...]
: :> anyway we use no pesticide or herbicide on our property and we have planted
: :> with the bees in mind .. while also being mindful that bees will travel up to
: :> 2kms .. we have endeavoured to reduce the amount of pesticide and herbicide
: :> residue in our honey to a minimum .. by keeping our own property chemical
: :> free... sooo.. pollen travels considerable distances . and there are no
: :> guarantees what the outcomes will be for all forms of wild-life if someone
: :> were to spray drift our property then i would have legal chanels by which to
: :> take action against them this is not the case with GM pollen .. there is no
: :> protection for pollen drift..

: : Good.

: Why do you say it is good that toxic pollen should be allowed to drift
: while other herbicides are not allowed to?

:  Then you will come to realise the amount of bullshit out there
: : concerning genetically modified crops as you try to prove your case.

: Do you have access to the Biological Abstracts database? (Also known as
: BIOSIS). I have posted two titles from it on the

nz.politics

: thread

: GVT: Biotechnology Council Membership

: It will also obviously have industry sponsored research published on it.

I imagine that the Council could require researchers to do more safety
experiments.

If Bt-corn comes to New Zealand then a study into its affects on New
Zealand moths could be required. One problem will probably be that they
are not all classified yet. We may never know if the 1994-1995 Bt-corn
New Zealand field trials had any effect.

As for resistant insects developing, ones I do not want in an organic
farm, could I ask a for a law which requires a farmer to stop insects
leaving his farm if he has made them resistant to pesticides by using
transgenic crops?

What appropriate penalties could be applied?

That farmer was trying for financial gain, and if in the attempt has
spoiled my chances there must be a framework for retribution.