Books on UK Microlepidoptera

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Fri Oct 15 05:22:25 EDT 1999

Hi Charles (& other interested parties),

The Moths & Butterflies series is a definite must buy (the whole series, as
the macromoths are dealt with much more comprehensively than in Skinner's
book, although the distribution information is a little out of date in
volumes 9 and 10). If you can afford the hardback set, go for it as it will
last a lot longer than the soft cover version. The illustrations in vols. 1
& 2 are not too great, but the text is very helpful and there are keys to
genera and species, so identification shouldn't be too difficult (many will
require 'laboratory' determination as field characters are not always
definitive guides to identification). Be prepared to take voucher specimens
to confirm identifications.
Also worth obtaining are the 2 volumes of the Tortricidae (Bradley et al)
published by the Ray Society in 1973 and 1979. Volume 2 is out of print but
should be obtainable on the open market.
Barry Goater's book is also very helpful, although the plate illustrating
the Scopariinae is not too clear.
Emmett's 'Smaller Lepidoptera' is not an identification guide; it contains
information more useful in terms of field characteristics that can only
really be used with an experienced micro recorder helping out. There are no
illustrations.

hope this helps,

Roger.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

mailing address:
  Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong
  Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong, Yuen Long, New Territories, HONG KONG

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidopterists' Society Website
  http://members.xoom.com/hkls/ (English version)