names for mourning cloak

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 12 01:40:07 EDT 2000

>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:39:36 -0500
>To: bbarnett at vt.edu
>From: "Chris J. Durden" <drdn at mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Re: names for mourning cloak
>
>The earliest published usage I have seen for "mourning cloak" in North
America is in the "Canadian Naturalist and Geologist", published in Ottawa
in the 1860's. W. d'Urban and other authors use this name. They were
correspondents with Harris in Massachusetts who identified specimens by
mail, circulated lists of names and published notes (mainly on economic
pests) in the "New England Farmer". In 1862 Flint published an edition of
Harris' work, after the death of Harris. "Mourning cloak" is used in that
book. I suspect that the name is a direct translation from the German,
there being no Camberwell in New England. The evidence, if any would be
found in the correspondence of Harris.
>   One could speculate that like the rook, this animal is attracted to old
carrion. The rook is a traditional omen of disaster, from its attraction to
the aftermath of battle. Perhaps the butterfly, similarly attracted, could
be thought of as a beautiful "mourning cloak".