Summer Science Project-Chrysallis detachment

JABRUNETTI at aol.com JABRUNETTI at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 08:56:14 EDT 2000

Dear Friends - I'm trying to raise my children's scientific awareness this
summer by  trying to raise some butterflies.  We read an article on raising
Monarchs and found the milkweed with eggs, etc.  That is going well.
However, we also found some caterpillers on my parsley and decided to try our
hand at these too.  Through research, we've found that they are Black
Swallowtail cats.  One of them has already formed a chrysallis, but it became
detached from the stick we put in the container.  The children are very
concerned that it won't develop properly.  I tried propping it up in a corner
but it falls over.  Also, should I continue misting the chrysallis' as they
form?  I wasn't sure who could help us with this, and we found your web site
and thought perhaps you would.  We would truly appreciate your advice.  Thank
you in advance for your consideration.  Yours Truly,
                                                 Mrs. Tracey Brunetti, Kevin,
Ryan and Luke
                                                 (JABrunetti at aol.com)