Th.betulae: Mapping and monitoring by searching for eggs in the winter

Chris van Swaay chrisvanswaay at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 04:20:32 EST 2000

Thecla betulae is expanding in The Netherlands. We
have four sub populations. The habitat of the
butterfly used to be agricultural landscape with
hedges. One of the sub populations in the centre of
The Netherlands changed its habitat to urban
environment. For example here in Wageningen it can be
found in parks, gardens, along roads, even in the
centre of our little town. This sub population has
been expanding quickly the last ten years to other
villages and cities. The rate is at least a few
kilometers per year. Strange enough the other three
sub populations still use the same agricultural
habitat, but because of the rapid expansion of the
urban population we expect the species in villages at
the other sites as well.

Dutch Butterfly Conservation has a butterfly monitor
network in The Netherlands since 1990. The last few
years we are also monitoring T. betulae eggs in
winter. We have very good experiences with this.
Indeed it is much easier to find the eggs than the
butterfly. And of course it gives a good view on the
distribution. And besides it gives you something
useful to do on butterflies during the winter!

If anyone is interested in the monitoring of T.
betulae he of she can contact me at De
Vlinderstichting (Dutch Butterfly Conservation) per
email: vlinders at bos.nl or at chrisvanswaay at yahoo.com

Chris

=====
Chris van Swaay
Work: De Vlinderstichting - Dutch Butterfly Conservation
Postbus 506, NL-6700 AM  Wageningen, The Netherlands
tel: +31-(0)317-467346
email: vlinders at bos.nl
Private: Van der Lecklaan 23, 6708 MN  Wageningen
email: chrisvanswaay at yahoo.com