Phyciodes batesii

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 12 01:14:21 EDT 2000

At 08:04  12/07/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I imagine that a lot of people would like to know about Phyciodes batesii
>from the "east". New York  and other populations have dwindled and
>disappeared for reasons that are obscure.
>
>So good luck.  It's nice to have an evolutionary mosaic that reminds us of
>the fragility of the species concept ( or perhaps of our methods).
>
>M. Gochfeld

Can you summarize the present and historic status of *Phyciodes batesii* in
New Jersey and adjacent areas for the rest of us. Has the southern
periphery of the range declined due to warming?
  45 years ago this species was locally common at a number of sites in the
Ottawa Valley. I raised it several times on fleabane. Where I have seen it
in Montana and Colorado it has been restricted to subalpine habitats around
treeline.
..........Chris Durden