Southern Sierra (7/7/00)

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Jul 17 08:47:31 EDT 2000

Sorry for the belated report, but most everything seen is still on the wing.

I recently had the pleasure of acting as adult leader for twenty Boy Scouts
- a week of summer camp characterized by submerged canoes, institutionalized
food, early morning frigid swims, assorted pyrotechnics, and male adolescent
hormonal imbalance.  In other words, I had fun.

The camp (Chawanakee) was located in the southern Sierra Nevada - actually
on Shaver Lake, just outside of Fresno, CA.  Of course, no road trip is
complete unless time is taken for the always important smelling-of-roses.  I
managed to take a few back roads on my way in and out, with time for
butterflying in both Tulare and Fresno counties.  The summer Leps are in
full swing at the medium elevations, and in fact were so good that I took a
few hours off during the week of camp to help stimulate interest in Nature
and Insect Study merit badges (two badges that I obtained myself some thirty
odd years ago, when I knew better how to tie the taut-line hitch).

My trusty little Geo Metro had yet another major setback when, while
traveling at high speed on U.S. 395 (yes, that is on the other side of the
mountain range), my hood latch busted and my hood hinged it's way at sonic
speed into my face.  It's a truly unpleasant experience, having your
windshield explode in your face and all of your visibility eliminated in an
instant by a large piece of sheet metal while flying down the highway in
excess of the speed limit.  Fortunately, I was not caravanning Boy Scouts at
the time.  After veering blindly off the side of the road, I managed to tie
down my hood and continue on my journey.  A bit unsafe, and highly illegal.
But, not to worry.  It's amazing how quickly you can get used to looking
through shattered glass while driving through the mountains.

Here's the list:

Parnassius clodius (Clodius Parnassian)
Papilio rutulus (Western Tiger Swallowtail)
Papilio eurymedon (Pale Swallowtail)
Papilio zelicaon (Anise Swallowtail)

Anthocharis sara (Sara Orangetip)
Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulpher)

Lycaena xanthoides (Great Copper)
Lycaena nivalis (Nivalis Copper)
Lycaena cupreus (Lustrous Copper)
Satyrium behrii (Behr's Hairstreak)
Satyrium californica (California Hairstreak)
Callophrys spinetorum (Thicket Hairstreak)
Callophrys nelsoni (Nelson's Hairstreak)
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)
Celastrina ladon (Spring Azure)
Agriades podarce (Sierra Nevada Blue)
Lycaeides melissa (Melissa Blue)
Lycaeides idas (Northern Blue)
Plebejus saepiolus (Greenish Blue)
Plebejus icarioides (Boisduval's Blue)
Plebejus lupini (Lupine Blue)

Boloria epithore (Western Meadow Fritillary)
Speyeria hydaspe (Hydaspe Fritillary)
Speyeria zerene (Zerene Fritillary)
Poladryas arachne (Monache Checkerspot)
Chlosyne palla (Northern Checkerspot)
Chlosyne hoffmanni (Hoffmann's Checkerspot)
Chlosyne whitneyi (Rockslide Checkerspot)
Euphydryas editha (Edith's Checkerspot)
Phyciodes cocyta (Northern Crescentspot)
Phyciodes campestris (Field Crescentspot)
Phyciodes mylitta (Mylitta Crescentspot)

Polygonia satyrus (Satyr Anglewing)
Polygonia gracilis (Hoary Comma)
Nymphalis californica (California Tortoiseshell)
Nymphalis antiopa (Mourning Cloak)
Vanessa virginiensis (American Lady)
Vanessa annabella (West Coast Lady)
Junonia coenia (Buckeye)
Limenitis lorquini (Lorquin's Admiral)
Adelpha bredowii (California Sister)
Coenonympha tullia (California Ringlet)
Danaus plexippus (Monarch)

Erynnis pacuvius (Pacuvius Duskywing)
Erynnis propertius (Propertius Duskywing)
Thorybes mexicana (Nevada Duskywing)
Hesperia nevada (Nevada Skipper)
Polites sonora (Sonora Skipper)