Collecting In the Huachucas

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Wed Jul 26 02:06:29 EDT 2000

> ...the Coronado National Memorial is basically a parking lot, a plaque,
> and an outhouse, covering a few acres, tops...

According to _The National Parks: Index 1993_, the Coronado National Memor-
ial contains 4,750.22 acres.

This publication, available from the Superintendent of Documents, is a very
useful one for any collector to have, since it lists all National Parks,
and other types of holdings within the National Park System: Monuments,
Memorials, Preserves, Reserves, Lakeshores, Seashores, Rivers, Wild & Scenic
Riverways, Scenic Trails, Historic Sites, Military Parks, Battlefields,
Historical Parks, Recreation Areas. To the best of my knowledge, _all_ of
these lands require collecting permits from the National Park Service.

> Do you HONESTLY think that anyone in ANY group of entomologists would
> be so stupid as to attempt to collect in an area that was clearly a
> National Park?

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." There _are_
people, who call themselves entomologists, who do in fact attempt to
collect (knowingly) in National Parks. That fact explains why a Park
ranger might react strongly to someone waving a net on NPS lands. As
far as I know, it is not illegal to have an insect net in your vehicle
in a National Park (although some overzealous rangers might feel other-
wise). Taking it out and attempting to collect something _is_ illegal
without a permit.

	Also, carrying a loaded firearm in your vehicle is not allowed in
most National Parks (although in some Alaskan ones you are strongly
recommended by the staff to carry one on your person for self-protection).

	The time has (unfortunately for us collectors) passed when you could
drive around the country and happily collect wherever there were no NO
TRESPASSING signs. Anyone collecting today has to know where all the
restricted lands are (National, State, Indian Tribal, etc.) in the
region of interest. Many of these are not posted along the highways,
so it's your responsibility to know where you are with respect to these
lands.

						Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu