Collecting In the Huachucas

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Jul 26 05:59:25 EDT 2000

Sorry to Doug for his unpleasant experience in Arizona.  I suppose it's safe
to say that this sort of encounter is still the exception - but I for one
believe that it's on the verge of happening every time I get out of my car
with my net in hand.  And it's not limited only to NP or NWR land.  This
sort of encounter can happen on ANY public land - sometimes enforced by
soccer moms and other vigilante citizens who have an unfair bias against
collecting.

This - for all of those on the list who have grown weary of my
pro-collecting ramblings from the past - is exactly the sort of thing that
has soured me so.

No offense to Hank - I love his SE AZ reports (not to mention his backyard),
but the ease with which the anti-collecting slant on this story gets
propagated is disturbing.

Mark Walker