Ideal Binoculars

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 27 21:55:38 EDT 2000

I use Bausch and Lomb elites 8x42 and find them very nice for butterflies, also
for birds, but I think a general feature of close focusing binoculars is lack of
depth of field and a lot of travel (three full turns of the knob) to go from
near to far.

Celestron  regal 8x42 are also good for butterflies, but I find them less clear
for distance viewing, but they were about 1/3 the price of the Elites.

There was an article several years ago in American Butterflies that reviewed
butterflying-binoculars, but I think that quite a few new models have been
introduced since then.  Some probably focus even closer than the Elites, which
for me are about 4 1/2 feet  (your mileage may vary depending on eyes and
probably the individual glass).

M. Gochfeld