Checkerspot on the news

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Fri May 5 23:48:09 EDT 2000

anne kilmer wrote:

> http://www.butterfliesforsale.com/Species.htm
>
> Would that be the Chalcedon checkerspot, do you think? You can buy them
> at the site cited above; no problem.

Laurel Godley's company "Butterflies Bedazzling"
http://www.butterfliesforsale.com/index.htm seems to
offer only 4 common species for sale at release events, not including the
checkerspot.  Below is a quote from her website:
http://www.butterfliesforsale.com/releases.htm

"Invite a royal gathering to join you for your special occasion. Our lovingly
 hand-raised Monarchs, Queens, Red Admirals, and Painted Ladies are eagerly
 awaiting your invitation."

On the other hand, another part of her website
 http://www.butterfliesforsale.com/Species.htm reads:

"We work with area scientists to learn the most about each of our unique
guests and how best to meet their complex needs. This enables us
to bring you a diverse selection of native California species.
Rearing so many species is quite challenging, yet we
delight in the opportunity to observe nature's miracle first-hand.
We invite you to witness the wonder of butterflies for yourself."

"Monarch
Viceroy
Pipevine Swallowtail
Gulf Fritillary
Painted Lady
Red Admiral
Buckeye
Anise Swallowtail
Checkerspot
European White
Orange-Tip"

I do know the California Dept. of Food and Agriculture has a long list of
species it allows to be raised and released within the confines of the State.

Paul Cherubini