V. atalanta, V. virginiensis in Mass.

Mothman617 Mothman617 at mediaone.net
Sun May 7 19:17:51 EDT 2000

Over the last week or so I have seen very large numbers of Vanessa atalanta
and V. virginiensis here in eastern Massachusetts. V. atalanta numbers have
been most impressive. I counted at least 7 at one time in one location
today. I usually do not see V. atalanta in any impressive numbers until well
into summer. It did hit 92 degrees (F) today and saw my first Tiger
Swallowtails (P. glaucus) and the first female Monarch (D. plexippus) lazily
flying about and probably searching for Milkweed. I also saw a good variety
of Pieridae, Lycaenidae and Hesperidae. Well we should have a good hot,
steamy and oppressive night (my kind of weather), and I will have my UV and
mercury vapor lamps running and hope to get some early Sphingidae and
perhaps a Saturnid or two.

M. Arey