A V. atalanta question

Citheronia at aol.com Citheronia at aol.com
Sun May 7 22:47:07 EDT 2000

Hi everyone,

I've heard from a few different people that Vanessa atalanta does not
overwinter as a pupa here in central New York (Oswego County). Today I went
out collecting, and I saw probably 50 or so V. atalanta on the bank of the
creek I was collecting at. (Ninemile Creek). Practically all that I saw,
except for possibly 3 or 4, were in absolute perfect condition, with bright,
fresh colors and all. I would have to say that it is extremely unlikely that
these were overwintered adults, being in as good of a condition they were in.
I was just wondering what other people have heard about overwintering V.
atalanta up here...

Thanks,
Randy Lyttle