Don't put the cart (light) before the (horse) concrete.

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Thu Nov 2 02:03:31 EST 2000

> If everyone used smaller bulbs, or turned off the lights more,
> maybe we could keep a power plant from being built.

The power plants will be built regardless. As of one year ago, it was
estimated that 13% of the US power output was being used to manufacture
and operate computers and the information technology infrastructure. It's
more than that now, and increasing rapidly. And turning off your computer
won't help--it's the _servers_ that eat up the power, and there are over
6 million of them today, linked to some 200 million PC-class units.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu