Strays vs. stays

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Mon Nov 6 03:41:38 EST 2000

	It might be worth noting that the _R. hastata_ that were blown
across 200+ miles of northern Canada to the Kuujjua River on Victoria
Island arrived in excellent condition. I have three of them in the col-
lection, and they are not worn or 'frazzled'. The date on all three is
1 July '75--but the first _hastata_ we saw turned up on 28 June--two
days before the first butterfly appeared. So transport by wind does
not have to involve any damage to lepidoptera...

	For historical cases of long-distance wind-aided transport,
refer to the excursus in Scudder's _Butterflies of the Eastern United
States and Canada_ (also published in his _Frail Children of the AIr_)
describing the immense cloud of _Eurema lisa_ that arrived on Bermuda
from the NW, or the account of various species of both moths and
butterflies seen 1000 miles off the coast of Brazil.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu