Strays vs. stays

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Mon Nov 6 19:02:45 EST 2000

Kenelm Philip wrote:

> It might be worth noting that the _R. hastata_ that were blown
> across 200+ miles of northern Canada to the Kuujjua River on Victoria
> Island arrived in excellent condition. I have three of them in the col-
> lection, and they are not worn or 'frazzled'. The date on all three is
> 1 July '75--but the first _hastata_ we saw turned up on 28 June--two
> days before the first butterfly appeared. So transport by wind does
> not have to involve any damage to lepidoptera...

E.B. Ford makes the same point in Butterflies (1945) (p. 161):

"..Lepidoptera are much more quickly damaged by contact with grass and
bushes
than they are by sustained flight. Migrating specimens do not encounter such
obstacles, and therefore they often arrive after immense journeys almost as
if newly emerged. The statement is constantly made that a rare species must
have bred in England because an example of it has been obtained here in
perfect condition. This is quite worthless evidence."

Jeff

.

Jeff