Database of butterflies and moths

Steve Cotterell stevecotterell at cix.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 05:49:00 EST 2000

To assist me in my researches, I have created a Microsoft Access database
that contains the full indexes of (to date) seventy-six books and booklets
about butterflies and moths, from all over the world.  A few are books for
younger readers but the bulk are adult field guides, encyclopaedias, etc.
 There are more books about British and European insects than any other
individual country, because that's where I live, but African, north and
south American, Asian and Australian insects are all well represented.  In
all there are more than 35 thousand records in the database, which will
continue to grow as I acquire additional books and add their publication
and index details.

One or two books didn't contain indexes and so I indexed them myself.  The
oldest book included is over 100 years old.

The database also includes about 180 Microsoft Word documents containing
the results of researches that I've made when looking for information
about specific insects.  Some documents are several pages long, others
just a few lines. All documents are accessed via linked records within the
database.

Obviously the database is of most use if one has the books that are
indexed but it would still have a use to people without all the books in
that it could be used to verify insect names, find alternative names and
common names and access the information included on the documents
described above.  There would be nothing to stop anyone adding the index
details of their own library to the database if they wished.

The prime use I make of the database is that I can enter any latin or
common name (or part of a name) and instantly be told on what page(s) of
which book(s) information about that insect my be found.

Spelling mistakes do occur, most being replicated from the book indexes
that I've scanned in.  I've tried very hard not to introduce errors of my
own but, of course, can't swear that I haven't contributed any.

To use this database you need Microsoft Access 2000 and Microsoft Word
2000 already installed on your PC.  Zipped into self extracting .exe files
the database occupies two 3.5" floppies and the reference documents occupy
another disk.

To install the database one would need to create a
'C:\Data\Access\Butterfly database\Butterfly documents' directory
structure and then extract the zip files into the relevant locations (the
database goes into the 'Butterfly database' directory and the Word
documents go into the 'Butterfly documents' directory).

I would now like to offer to share this database with anyone else who may
be interested in using it.  I am not looking for money, rather I'd like to
exchange copies of the database for copies of English-language books about
butterflies and moths from around the world that I don't already have in
my own library.  They don't have to be new books, but should be in
reasonable condition.

If this proposition interests you, or if you would like a little more
information, please email me at steve at scotrix.com

Kind regards
Steve Cotterell
www.scotrix.com