nireus color

Ron Gatrelle rgatrelle at home.com
Sat Nov 11 12:26:07 EST 2000

Smruti
    I have two specimens of nireus here and they look greenish to me. I took
a vote of others in the house. My wife said it was blue, "more blue than
green."
My visiting mother-in-law said they were turquoise. My daughter just came in
with the grandkids and she says they are jade. Turquoise is probably best
(always agree with your mother-in-law).
    I got the specimens back in the 1950's from the old Butterfly Art &
Jewelry Company. They have been house in a display Riker Mount for 40 years
and thus subjected to light pollution. The central band is also metallic or
iridescent which alters color naturally.
    I have a couple of Miami E. atala collected back in the 1920's they are
very green. Specimens of Miami atala I reared 20 years ago are very blue. We
photograph all our specimens for TTR publication outside in natural light.
We do this for several reasons not the least of which is that it brings out
more color.
    If you have Internet service, there are some Latin translation sites.
Just type in "Latin translation" and the search engine will find them.
Ron