Proper Scientific name

Guy Van de Poel Guy_VdP at t-online.de
Fri Oct 27 16:12:21 EDT 2000

The Code, effective 1.1.2000 says:

33.4
Use of -i for -ii and vice versa, and other alternative spellings, in
subsequent spellings of species-group names. The use of the genitive
ending -i in a subsequent spelling of a species-group name that is a
genitive based upon a personal name in which the correct original spelling
ends with -ii, or vice versa, is deemed to be an incorrect subsequent
spelling, even if the change in spelling is deliberate; the same rule
applies to the endings -ae and -iae, -orum and -iorum, and -arum and -iarum.

The Code gives an example:
'The subsequent use by Waterhouse of the spelling bennettii for the name
established as Macropus bennetti Waterhouse, 1837 does not make the
subsequent spelling an available name even if the act was intentional.'

33.3 in short says that an 'incorrect subsequent spelling' ... does not
enter into homonymy and cannot be used as a substitute name.' - it were as
if it was never written !

BUT
33.3.1 states that 'when an incorrect subsequent spelling is in prevailing
usage and is attributed to the publication of the original spelling, the
subsequent spelling and attribution are to be preserved and the spelling is
deemed to be a correct original spelling.' (!!)

I read somewhere in the Code, but can't find it right now, that when
latinizing a person's name, two methods are allowed:

gillett + ius
gillett + us

The first gives for the genitive double -ii, the second single -i. I don't
remember if either one was recommended.

There are a lot of interesting rules in the Code, and I would suggest it to
anybody who's interested enough to join a discussion on taxonomy. It is
written in a kind of language that reminds me of lawyers, but it probably
needs it to make sure there are no holes 'between' the rules ...
(Though the last one - 33.3.1 - just adds another hole if you ask me ...)

Guy.