Phyciodes - Re: Propagation of typos

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 2 11:54:10 EDT 2001

First, I am not a classics scholar. I can only look up.
Phyciodes  = possibly the rouged one? This might or might not be of
feminine gender.
Possibly from Greek phykos = sea-weed or rouge (made from sea-weed), gender
neuter.

The proposer of the name, Huebner will have indicated his determination of
the gender of the name in 1819 (Verz. bekannt. Schmett., (2): 29). I do not
have ready access to this publication so I do not know the original ending
of the included species.
   Scudder fixed the type species as *Papilio cocyta* Cramer in 1872 (4th
Ann. Rept. Peabody Acad. Sci. for 1871: 46.   Cocytus (m) = The River of
Wailing, one of the rivers of hell. *Papilio* (m) = butterfly. Why Cramer
used *cocyta* rather than *cocytus* I do not know. *Phyciodes cocyta* is
currently considered a subjective synonym of *Phyciodes tharos*.
    People who described new taxa in *Phyciodes* used the following:
*Phyciodes boucardi* Godman & Salvin, 1878. (of Boucard (m)) .
*Phyciodes hiemalis* Edwards, 1878. (wintery/stormy, gender agreement with
*P.* is m).
*Phyciodes aestiva* Edwards, 1878. (relating to summer, gender agreement
with *P.* is f.)
*Phyciodes nox* Gunder, 1928. (night (f.), a noun in apposition not
required to agree).
*Phyciodes thornei* Gunder, 1934. (of Thorn (m)).
*Phyciodes arctica* dos Passos, 1935. (relating to the north, gender
agreement with *P* is f)
*Phyciodes packardii* Saunders, 1869. (of Packard (m)).
*Phyciodes reaghi* Reiff, 1913. (of Reagh (m)).
*Phyciodes dyari* Gunder, 1928. (of Dyar (m)).
*Phyciodes distincta* Bauer, 1975. (separated/distinct, gender agreement
with *P* is f).
*Phyciodes pascoensis* Wright, 1905. (from the place of cattle feeding).
*Phyciodes mcdunnoughi* Gunder, 1928 (of McDunnough (m)).
*Phyciodes camillus* Edwards, 1871. (proper name = savior of one's country
- noun in apposition).
*Phyciodes emissa* Edwards, 1871. (sent out, gender agreement with *P.* is f).
*Phyciodes rohweri* Cockerell, 1913. (of Rohwer (m)).
*Phyciodes tristis* Cockerell, 1913. (melancholy, gender agreement with
*P.* is m).
*Phyciodes jemezensis* Brehme, 1913. (of the place of Jemez (Springs)).
*Phyciodes canace* Edwards, 1871. (daughter of Aeolus, proper noun in
apposition).
*Phyciodes orseis* Edwards, 1871. (?a commencement, noun in apposition).
*Phyciodes edwardsi* Gunder, 1927. (of Edwards (m)).
*Phyciodes herlani* Bauer, 1975. (of Herlan (m)).
*Phyciodes barnesi* Skinner, 1897. (of Barnes (m)).
*Phyciodes collinsi* Gunder, 1930. (of Collins (m)).
*Phyciodes macyi* Fender, 1930. (of Macy (m)).
*Phyciodes arizonensis* Bauer, 1975. (of the place of Arizona).
*Phyciodes thebais* Godman & Salvin, 1878. (belonging to Thebes
(Egypt/Boeotia) f).

12 are named after people and are required to take the gender of the person
rather than the genus.
4 are named as nouns in apposition and take the gender of the noun.
2 are adjectives assuming the genus to be masculine (Edwards, Cockerell)
5 are adjectives assuming the genus to be feminine (Edwards, dos Passos,
Bauer, Godman & Salvin.
3 are "from the place of" and take the gender of the place.

   Not knowing what Huebner had in mind, I would follow Edwards, dos
Passos, Bauer, Godman & Salvin in identifying *Phyciodes* as feminine.
................Chris Durden