Butterflies (3 spp.) and the F&WS

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Aug 31 07:48:32 EDT 2001

I would insert two words into Marks Walker's tale of woe. "always or
perfectly".

i.e.  "Listing doesn't work always or perfectly".

Whether this is a fault of listing or because bulldozers can't read,
isn't clear.

Listing has slowed the wholesale elimination of the Albany Pine Bush,
although it hasn't prevented the many encroachments that have resulted
in a reserve that is fragmented (and looks like gerrymandered voting
districts). Listing has encouraged states to fund monitoring, habitat
protection and even regeneration programs.

And yes, I remember receiving an obnoxious official letter thanking me
for the information which allowed USFWS to place the Yellow-shouldered
Blackbird (Puerto Rican endemic) on the endangered list and words to the
effect that I should be aware that any further research I did on this
bird may be in violation of the law, with more stuff about special
permits.

Not exactly conducive wording to encourage researchers to help in the
listing process.

Mike Gochfeld