Government views Monarch Butterfly Releases as a threat toWesternMilkweeds

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Thu Dec 13 11:30:52 EST 2001

1_iron wrote:

> Stan and all:
>
> Paul Cherubini used the term "weedy species" in reference to the Monarch,
> which elicited from Stan:
>
>  I also have to wonder about the use of terms like 'weedy species'.
>  Normally, a weed is a plant growing where we do not want it to grow.
>  Used in reference to the Monarch implies to the general public that it
>  is a pest we do not want.  Do we really want to convey this kind of
>  message?  Doesn't the use of such terms have a tendency to mislead?
>
> I read the original post - correctly, I think - with the word "weedy"
> meaning "hardy." I don't think anyone was mislead.
>
> We need more Anne Kilmer posts and less picky-picky.
>
> Jim Taylor
>
> PS: Someone once said that if you plant, feed, and water it and it dies,
> it's a flower. Otherwise, it is a weed.

Well, I hate to admit when Paul is right, but the Monarch is indeed a
weedy species, acclaimed for it, and Paul explained it patiently and
nicely.

I  could go on and on about the Monarch being favored by the expansion
of populated areas, able to colonize wasteland and bombed-over areas ...
Milkweed users, along with such opportunistic invaders as the
passionflower gang, flourish at the expense of the rarer, pickier
butterflies.
I hate to see our passion expended on the plight of the Monarch, when it
is making out like gangbusters, and we are neglecting the scrubby little
corners where the true treasures live.
We can't claim that what's good for Monarchs is good for butterflies in
general. And a recent copy of Butterfly Gardening, a NABA publication,
suggests that planting milkweed creates a butterfly garden.
At times like this, I think of the teacher who was planning and planting
  a butterfly garden for her school ... some 15 years ago, when most
schools were not yet doing that. She told me that first she would have
the saw palmettoes bulldozed, see, and then ...
Which is where I started screaming and did not stop until I had her
attention. You don't take out something good, and real, to replace it
with something else, also good, but artificial.
  God plants lovely butterfly gardens, though with a sad lack of
political correctness. We certainly get to edit them, but it seems to me
wrong to scrape it all down and start fresh.

I want to see kids rearing endangered butterflies in their school
gardens. Maybe they start with releasing Monarchs, but I want to see
them speeding down the highway towards biodiversity, and, in fact, I do
see this happening.
When it comes to picky-picky, I wrote the book. ;-)
Anne Kilmer
South Florida and Mayo