Government views Monarch Butterfly Releases as a threat toWesternMilkweeds

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Fri Dec 14 00:11:00 EST 2001

1_iron wrote:

> We need more Anne Kilmer posts and less picky-picky.

1_iron & some,
I am certainly no expert on Monarchs.  I am merely a subscriber to this
list to learn and have some input as others do. Let me clarify my post.

I have seen how statistics, incomplete data, and facts taken out of
context can be manipulated to give misleading and false impressions.
Our politicians are experts at this (Clinton was the champion) as anyone
with some intelligence can attest to.  In this instance, Paul used a
quote from Vane-Wright to justify his statement that followed.  On face
value one did not necessarily seem to follow from the other, and when I
see something like this I question it.  In fact, this list seems to
distinguish itself by the large numbers of individuals who pay very
close attention to even a single written (typed) word, and sometimes
vigorous discussions have ensued from that.  Since I am not an expert on
Monarchs I questioned Paul's deduction.  His response clarified how
Vane-Wright came to his conclusion.  I now know the level of data being
used to support these conclusions, and now so does everyone else (who is
bothering to read these posts).  I do not consider this 'picky'.

Also, the use of the term 'weedy species' did not seem right, and so I
questioned that.  'Weedy' has some negative connotations which could
influence the way non-lepidopterists (e.g., the loggers in Mexico) view
the Monarch.

Over and over I read variations of the phrase, 'Paul is right on this
one'. Let me state, as I have a year or two ago, that I feel Paul brings
a lot of useful information to this forum (in fact I am sometimes amazed
at how much he knows), but we all question if we feel a need to.

Stan