Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Thu Jan 11 14:12:36 EST 2001

One of the interesting viewpoints I see on this list is the one that seems
to be expressed here: Environmental change = Environmental degradation,
especially if humans had anything to do with it.

I think of this viewpoint as that of preservationists, those that view
change as mostly bad. I'm not a preservationist. I see all change as
having positive and negative aspects and that it's inevitable.

As a kid in San Lorenzo in the 60's Sky West Golf Course was open land
where wild wheat(?) was harvested each Spring and the land was then
plowed.....certainly not a natural state even then. We collected Monarch
caterpillars on Milkweed patches in the Summer along with various butterflies.
Now the same land is a Winter sanctuary for Monarchs. Is this a good
or a bad change? Some would say bad simply because it's a change. One
could come up with all sorts of pluses and minuses. I see it simply as
a change.

Chuck Vaughn <aa6g at aa6g.org>