help w/ gypsy moths in BC, Canada.

Kelly Richers KeRichers at wasco.k12.ca.us
Tue Jan 16 16:55:13 EST 2001

On the other hand, I have seen gypsy moths, and our Canadian friend has no =
inkling of the impact they can have.  I have seen hundreds of thousands of =
gypsy moths denuding deciduous forests in Pennsylvania and they are not a =
small, nor insignificant threat. =20

>>> "Ron Gatrelle" <gatrelle at tils-ttr.org> 01/13/01 10:11AM >>>
Dear Ryan,
    With the best of intensions, I must let you know that you are living =
in
a dream world.  In specific cases for specific reasons we are all against
"spraying". But to be against spraying categorically, is induced not by
facts or the real world but by over-the- edge, environmental agendaism.
"Spraying" is simply an aerial delivery system. So, more articulately, you
would be against all aerial delivery/application of insecticides.Your
instructor probably has a balanced position on the environment, don't be =
so
quick to dismiss his wisdom.
    I have never seen a Gypsy Moth. However, I have worked for the US
Forest service the last few years (through The International Lepidoptera
Survey of which I am a co-founder) surveying habitat in western North
Carolina for the presence of Phyciodes batesii maconensis. This is =
relative
to the Forest Services' Gypsy Moth eradication project in that area of the
US. I have recommended against the use of Bt in areas of potential
maconensis habitat even though the butterfly has not yet been found there.
    I see Bt as a very lethal virus potentially devastating to many
lepidoptera. I also know that the Gypsy Moth is also a threat to not only
other lepidoptera (host competition and defoliation) but the overall heath
of The Forest. We are in fact, at war with this unwelcome alien. And =
though
it has no intent or will of malice, it is at war with the environment into
which it has now become a part. There is a place in this world for
everything. But there is not a place for everything everywhere. Ebola is
not welcome in my body. I am not welcome in the lion's lair -- well maybe
for lunch.
Ron Gatrelle