wiped out

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Jan 16 18:39:27 EST 2001

Two, four, six, eight
Note the use of extirpate.

a recent posting to Entomo-l.

Subject:
            DRAGONFLY AT THE CROSSROADS:
       Date:
            Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:22:23 -0800
      From:
            Scott Black <sblack at XERCES.ORG>
        To:
            ENTOMO-L at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA

DRAGONFLY AT THE CROSSROADS: A Minnesota DNR official wants the DOT to
  reconsider a plan to avoid a dangerous intersection by relocating a
  highway through cold spring wetlands that could harbor the endangered
  Hine's emerald dragonfly says the St. Paul Pioneer Press, AP 1/3. The
  rare dragonfly, which has already been extirpated from Indiana and
  Ohio, is now known to live only in the "Cedarburg natural bog area two
  miles from the intersection," in Door County, and two northeastern
  Illinois counties.

Scott Hoffman Black
Executive Director
The Xerces Society
4828 Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
Direct line (503) 534-2706
Direct Fax (503) 534-2708

www.xerces.org
The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization dedicated
protecting biological diversity through the conservation of
invertebrates.

Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the
winner of this presidential election, the identity of the loser is
perfectly clear.  It is the Nation's confidence in the judge as an
impartial guardian of the rule of law.

Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens

I still don't think extirpate is much of a word. It does sound
deliberate.
Besides, you know and I know that folks have not perused this bog very
throughly, because bogs do not encourage that. I'm willing to let the
bug be "not proved" and happy to save the bog.
About this president thing, you recall Gilbert and Sullivan's "The
Gondoliers"? Two "brothers", one of whom was the king's son and one a
commoner, simply agreed to rule in concert since the true heir could not
be determined.
I had hoped that the handling of the next few years might be similarly
harmonious ... y'all don't seem to think so, and the anguished bleating
of the meal-time telephoners is becoming annoying. Perhaps we should
just reinvent civil disobedience?
(Did *you* have confidence in the judge's impartiality? Oh, come now.)
Anne Kilmer
South Florida