Overpopulation v. Willful Stupidity

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Mon Jan 29 18:59:18 EST 2001

I really don't think overpopulation as it impacts lepidopteran habitat
is a 'rationalization'.  Overpopulation, to me, manifests itself in
demands upon the resources of the environment, such as habitat
destruction either for living space, farming area to support the larger
population, industry, etc.  Many examples can be produced of this, and
some already have on this list, although, at the time, it was not in the
context of overpopulation.  My example goes back to my childhood in
Erie, Pennsylvania.  I remember collecting butterflies in fields as a
kid, and cocoons during winter.  About 8 years ago I went back for a
visit to find the fields non-existent because of the demand for homes
caused by the increased population in the area.  I remembered a pond
area I used to frequent that was good for cocoons.  It no longer exists
because it had been turned into a dumping ground for hazardous wastes.

Stan

p.s. what does mbpi stand for?