US standardized name reference

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Jul 5 03:45:28 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Kilmer" <viceroy at anu.ie>

> Ron, Wanda is a nice lady who was trying to help you. Can't you lighten
> up? It's about butterflies.

Help me what?  I wasn't asking for any "help".  Wanda was just putting a
plug in for the naba site (which she has every right to do).

> Just go on using both sets of names, setting a good example to the
> others, and ignore the whiners.

That's just the point. I use both as often and as much as I know. But there
is a huge group that not only does not use "both" but _refuses_ to use
"both" and  _also_ gripes (via personal email) to high heaven if someone
else (me) doesn't use theirs, which just so happens to be common names,
100% of the time.

I post a post using correct names for 9 taxa and also dig out 5 of their
common names (which I personally seldom use) while I am dog tired from a 20
hr work day _just_ to be nice to those who prefer common names, and I get a
personal email kicking me in the teeth by asking me to please use [all]
_common_ names. This is not the exception, it is the rule. My other point
is this stupid initial stuff - that is what my 13 year  old does all day -
FYI, BTW, 3B, NGIT etc.

It is about butterflies, isn't it. Or is it?  If it was really about
butterflies people would be interested in what they "really" are and
wouldn't be _forbidding_ the use of their correct names except in boring
scientific journals.

You sure seem to care about the correct name when it comes to yours. Is it
Ann or Anne?  It is Anne, as you specifically pointed out to me when I
first got on this group and called you Ann because I wasn't paying
attention. But, I am forgetting that this is a one way street. *We* have to
use whatever people and butterfly names X prefers, but X has no reciprocal
obligation, or even common courtesy, to use those names that *we* prefer.
Heads you win, tails I loose.
RG