Good light

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 9 20:55:24 EDT 2001

cmbb asked about lights:

The AmericanMuseum of Natural History bird department installed
'special' fluorescents in booths on some of its bird ranges, to allow
comparison in true color. I will forward the message to Wesley Lanyon
(then head of the bird department) to see if he remembers how they were
special. I'm sure they fit into a standard six foot fluorescent fixture.

Ironically on both sides of the booths were 10 foot high windows which
received the afternoon sun.  I was never sure why the fluorescents were
supposed to be "truer" than daylight (or maybe it was for the short
winter afternoons when the sunlight failed (people tended to work late
in the bird department to avoid rush hour traffic (or because they liked
birds). Maybe the windows got too grimy too quickly?

Mike Gochfeld