Leaves

sebrez at webtv.net sebrez at webtv.net
Sat Jul 14 05:02:26 EDT 2001

Neat, I also am fascinated by leaves, what diversity. Not only trees,
but ferns and tiny little plants that grow close to the ground.
Something else that may seem a little weird, is if you are ever caught
in the woods in a rain storm, take time to notice the different sounds
the rain makes as it hits the various kinds of trees.
    On a sad note also, there is an American Elm in my driveway that is
losing leaves this year and undoubtedly is dying from the devastating
Dutch Elm Disease. There used to be real giants around here, some three
feet across at the base, but you don't see them like that much any more.
I grew up on Long Island and I too remember seeing lot by lot of wooded
areas disappear. The only positive thing I can remember about it was
sometimes the bulldozed lots would sit for a few years before being
built upon and they would grow up with weeds and make a temporary place
to hunt for butterflies.

mail to: sebrez at webtv.net