more about latin names

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Jul 27 22:19:10 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "gwang" <gwang at mb.sympatico.ca>
Subject: more about latin names

> And while on the subject of latin names, I also remember my latin
> teacher saying that there was no letter j in the latin alphabet, and yet
> j's are pretty prevalent amongst latin names for leps.  Ex: Charaxes
> jasius (Large Blue Charaxes), Junonia villida (Meadow Argus), Jamides
> alecto (Metallic Cerulean), Dione juno (Scarce Silver-spotted Flambeau),
> Janomima westwoodi (Inquisitive Monkey (where do they come up with
> these?)), et cetera.  So, what's the deal here?  How can they have all
> these j's in the latin names if j was never a part of the latin
> alphabet?
> Furthermore, the letter w in classical latin is pronounced like a v.
> So, westwoodi would be pronounced vestwoodi, but no one seems to
> actually say it like that.  Thoughts/comments are welcome.
>
> Peace,
> Xi Wang

This is because the IZCN, and I assume the ICBN too, are not actually about
Latin. They are about a nomenclature of word-terms that are latinizations,
and even Latin and Greek  hybrids. So all the terms are corruptions - a
scientific Tbonics if you will. The code is more concerned with gender
agreements and not with letters, syllables, sounds etc. One can just make
up a word and it would work - sockittoum for example. Now it discourages
frivolous or vulgar epithets, but the options of word creations are pretty
wide.
Ron